Mom Shares Shocking X-ray Image Of Grape Stuck In Child’s Throat

Australian mom Angela Henderson, shared an X-ray image of a grape lodged in a child throat to remind parents about the choking risk posed of the fruit.

In the caption of a Facebook photo (pictured below), she wrote: “Attention Parents! Do you know what this x-ray is of? A grape! . . . This sweet soul had to be operated on, under general anaesthetic to remove the grape. He is VERY lucky that part of his airway was open or else this could have ended badly,”

“Please be careful. And when in doubt just cut…grapes, baby tomatoes, etc.,” she continues

A former peramedic commented on the post “As a former paramedic — grapes and hot dogs are the worst for lodging in throats, but anything soft and circular can be deadly,” one Facebook user said. “I always encourage anyone I see feeding young kids soft, circular items, to cut the food in half.”

Hot dogs, popcorn, candy, raw vegetables, nuts and ice cubes are among the foods listed as a choking hazard for kids. Whole grapes also made the list.

To prevent a child from choking, New York State Department of Health offers a long list of tips. Here’s a few regarding food preparation: remove seeds and pits, cook or steam vegetables to soften their texture, and cut hot dogs lengthwise and widthwise.

Save

You may also like...

Content provided on this site is intended for information purposes only and should not be construed as medical or health and safety advice.