Heartbroken Dad Warns About The Dangers of Button Batteries

A heart broken father has shared the story of how his two-year-old daughter lost her life; to warn parents about the dangers of button batteries.

George Asan’s two-year-old daughter Francesca died of a massive internal haemorrhage after she swallowed a 2cm lithium battery, commonly found in toys and gadgets. The toddler endured days of agony as the battery burned through her oesophagus into her artery.

George shared the details of the incident which happened last May, to mark Child Safety Week which runs from June 5 – 11, 2017.

He explained to the Manchester Evening News that Francesca swallowed the battery after taking it out of a pair of 3D glasses which her family had placed inside a drawer, insider a box which was inside another box. The little girl did not choke on the battery, but died of catastrophic internal injuries after the battery came into contact with her stomach fluid and began to corrode.

“I feel guilty,” Goerge said, “Unfortunately we didn’t see anything wrong, no signs.

Urging other parents to be aware of the danger, he said: “What happened to Francesca proved that you can’t have eyes everywhere and you can’t take that basic freedom of exploring away from a toddler, that makes them a toddler.”

Image: Youtube

The Child Accident Prevention Trust has stressed how the small, round batteries ‘can be extremely dangerous for children if swallowed’ – especially lithium button batteries which are larger and more powerful – and can kill within hours.

Child Accident Prevention Trust safety advice:

  • Store spare button batteries well out of children’s reach and sight.
  • Keep products with button batteries well out of children’s reach, if the battery compartment isn’t secure.
  • If you think your child may have swallowed a button battery, don’t delay – take them straight to A&E or dial an emergency number for an ambulance
  • If you suspect your child has swallowed a battery, parents are advised to “act fast” and abide by the following guidelines:
    If you have the battery packaging or the product powered by the battery, take it with you. This will help the doctor identify the type of battery and make treatment easier.
    Do not let your child eat or drink.
    Do not make them sick.
    Trust your instincts and act fast.
  • To find out more visit www.capt.org.uk/button-batteries

 

 

You may also like...

Content provided on this site is intended for information purposes only and should not be construed as medical or health and safety advice.