Benefits of Exercise During Pregnancy
- Help you to carry the weight you gain in pregnancy.
- Prepare you for the physical challenge of labour and birth.
- Improve your mood, and give you energy.
- Help you to sleep better.
- Make getting back into shape after your baby is born easier.
- Give you the chance to meet other mums-to-be, if you opt for a class.
6 Best Activities For Moms-To-Be
Brisk Walking: Strengthens heart/lungs, increases stamina. If your pre-pregnancy exercise levels were very low, a quick stroll around the neighborhood is a great way to start.
Water Exercise: Strengthens heart/lungs; reduces strain on joints. Swimming is an ideal exercise during pregnancy as it poses little risk of injury, and no risk of falling on your abdomen and injuring your baby.
Prenatal Pilates: Good for posture, upper and lower body strength and stability, and helps reduce back pain
Dancing: Increases muscle tone and will keep you flexible
Prenatal Yoga: Increases strength, stamina and relaxation. You can also use techniques learnt in yoga class to help you stay calm and in control during the labor process.
Cycling : Strengthens heart and tones your body.
- Chest pain
- Calf pain or swelling
- Less movement by the baby
- Muscle weakness
- Fluid leaking from the vagina
- Vaginal bleeding
- Notice an irregular or rapid heartbeat
SAFETY TIP : Before doing any pregnancy exercise, be sure to get clearance from your health care provider.
Photo Credit: Hellen Merrick
Find more articles by Pregnancy Fitness here